Notes for Angelica "Lena" Meschede

Burial: Mount Saint Mary's Cemetery (Northwest of Shackleford, Township 50, Range 22, North Eastern part of Section 10.), Saline County, Missouri.

"The following transcript was written in 1957 by Anna Stockman"

Angelica "Lena" Maschede was the third daughter of Richard Meschede and Fredericka Pittman. She was born February 28, 1858 in Callenhardt, West Phalia, Prussia. It was at the age of 12 days old she moved with her parents and two older sisters (Annie & Theresa) to America. She left her native land from the port of Breman, Germany on March 11, 1858, and landed in New Orleans, Louisiana May 28, 1858. Nine days later she and the family arrived in St. Louis, Missouri.

The family settled in St. Louis where (Lena, as called by her family) attended a Parochial School which was conducted by the Sisters of St. Joseph.

In 1866, Lena and her parents moved to Saline County, Missouri and lived for awhile on the Petit Saux plains. From there they moved to a farm in the Missouri river bottom east of Laynesville, Missouri. Here she grew to womanhood and married Edward Adolph Stockman from Glasgow, Missouri. The marriage was held at the Annunciation Catholic Church northeast of Shackelford, Missouri.

After her marriage they moved to Chariton County, Missouri. Then later to a farm east of Laynesville, Missouri. This is where she continued to live until her death which was on Feb. 15, 1898.

Angelica "Lena" Meschede (Stockman) was a devout catholic. She was a devout mother. She hesitated at no sacrifice for the ones she loved. She died at the age of only 40 years old, leaving 8 children, with the oldest at 18 years old, and the youngest but a few hours old. While her activities in life ceased at an early age, her kindness and untold acts of love remained ever fresh in the hearts and minds of those who knew her. Her funeral service was held in the Immaculate Conception Church at Shackelford, Missouri on Feb. 17, 1898. She was buried at the Mt. St. Mary Cemetery of Shackelford, Missouri.

History Note: The township of Laynesville, was located in Saline County, Missouri. This place was founded in 1870 by John W. Layne, a large stock dealer, shipper and commission merchant. Until 1875 the town grew rapidly and became one of the heaviest shipping points on the river. It was later destroyed by a flood in 1881.
HOME | EMAIL | SURNAMES |



Page built by Gedpage Version 2.20 ©2000 on 07 November 2011